“Ask Sympraxis” is a bi-weekly webinar series, where we discuss an array of topics and answer your submitted questions. Join us by downloading our recurring calendar event. You can also join us directly in the meeting without downloading the event.
Use our handy form to submit your questions and subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date about upcoming webinars and announcements. Not a fan of newsletters? Follow @SympraxisC on Twitter for bi-weekly #AskSympraxis webinar topic announcements.
After each session, we post the recorded sessions and resources below along with a summary. You can also browse our YouTube channel to see all previous Ask Sympraxis sessions.
Topic of the Week
Wednesday, October 5th at 12:30 PM ET: Creating a Policy Center with modern SharePoint
We welcome you to submit your questions to be answered in the session.
Archive of Previous Sessions
After each session, we post a short recap with a link resources including the full recording. Browse our archives to see all previous Ask Sympraxis sessions:
- Intro to Microsoft FormsInterested in learning more about the various uses and best practices of Microsoft Forms? Ask Sympraxis is here to help! Give this session of Ask Sympraxis a watch today.
- OneDrive and syncAnother insightful episode of Ask Sympraxis! This week focuses on OneDrive’s various manifestations, syncing, and adding shortcuts. Learn more here!
- Making Your Intranet MultilingualThis week of Ask Sympraxis focuses on making your intranet multilingual, an ever so important topic in our changing business world! We cover the topic thoroughly from uses cases to potential pitfalls. Learn more today!
- Ask Sympraxis AnythingJoin us for this session of Ask Sympraxis Anything! We cover a range of topics including organization structure to support SharePoint/M365, task tracking, SharePoint/OneDrive sync, migration recommendations, and more!
- Forming an Intranet Steering CommitteeToday’s Ask Sympraxis is all about forming an intranet steering committee. Take a listen to learn more about this crucial process!
- How to be a Good Content OwnerInterested in learning to be a good content owner? We have the info for you. Listen to our newest Ask Sympraxis to learn more!
- Content! Content! Content! Nudging along reluctant content owners￼￼Join us as we discuss content! Learn how to get content, the typical site timeline, and how to nudge along your content owners.
- The Intersection of Collaboration & Communication: Managing Your Content LifecycleWant to learn about managing your content lifecycle? Join us as we discuss various tools to use, tips and best practices, and permission inheritance.
- Microsoft LoopMicrosoft has begun the initial roll out of a new solution called Loop. Join us as we discuss this new solution including observations and use cases.
- Working Across Tenant & Identities in Microsoft 365Microsoft has recently announced a new account switcher feature for Microsoft 365 web apps. Join us as we discuss benefits and limitations.
- Microsoft 365 April Conference RecapWe attended the Microsoft 365 Conference in Vegas. Here are our top takeaways.
- Modern Content TypesThe Sympraxis team discusses content types from our different perspectives including updates to the content type gallery.
- Ask Sympraxis AnythingIt is your turn to ask all the questions! The Sympraxis team answers your questions from the mail bag and takes additional live questions.
- The Value of APIsJoin us as we explore the value of APIs when working with Microsoft 365.
- Help me to help you! How to engage with supportWe’ve all had to deal with support at one point or another. As members of the M365 community we are often on the giving end of some of that support. In this session we provide some things to think about before you engage support as well as where to find the support you might need.
- Recent Changes We LoveJoin us as we discussed recent changes in Microsoft 365 that we love.
- Building Accessible SolutionsAccessibility is essential for organizations that want to create/provide high-quality tools, and not exclude people from using their products and services.
- Business Solutions Using SharePoint ListsWhen is good good enough? Join us as we explore our CRM-ish story using SharePoint Lists as a solution.
- The Island of (Microsoft) Misfit ToysIn this special holiday episode of Ask Sympraxis we will be exploring the Island of (Microsoft) Misfit toys. This can be products that never panned out, died too early, or weren’t that great of an idea to start with.
- SharePoint & Teams: What To Use When Part 3This session is part 3 of a multi-part conversation about how to leverage SharePoint and Teams and when to use each.
- Microsoft Ignite RecapThis session is a highlight of the top announcements from Microsoft Ignite Fall 2021.
- SharePoint & Teams: What To Use When Part 2This session is part 2 of a multi-part conversation about how to leverage SharePoint and Teams and when to use each.
- SharePoint & Teams; What to use when Part 1This session is part 1 of a multi-part conversation about how to leverage SharePoint and Teams and when to use each.
- Hosting multiple subsidiaries or business units in Microsoft 365In this session we talked about how organizational complexity and Microsoft 365. At some point, managing all the different subsidiaries or business units in Microsoft 365 becomes difficult. We talked about our approaches to make all this work.
- The Intranet is Dead. Long Live Microsoft Teams!We’ve been asked: Are SharePoint-based intranets dead, to be replaced by apps in Microsoft Teams? We think the answer is no, and we’ll talk about why, and how they are better together.
- How to Protect Your Time, Your Attention and Your SanityThis has been a challenging year and a half. The lines between work and home have never been more blurred, and the hybrid workplace has created both new efficiencies and demands. As a 100% virtual organization (even before COVID) we will talk about what we’re doing to protect our time, focus and well-being, and we’d love to hear what’s working for you.
- Migration Scenarios for Mergers and AcquisitionsWe get asked a lot about splitting content across tenants or moving content from one tenant to another. Usually these are a result of a merger, split, or acquisitions. In this edition of Ask Sympraxis we look at some of the common scenarios and pitfalls we have encountered.
- Ask Sympraxis AnythingWe opened the mic up to you for this Ask Sympraxis Anything. There were some great questions around themes and branding as well as some other question.
- Viva Topics: What We’ve Learned So FarIn this installment to Ask Sympraxis we took a deeper dive into Viva Topics. Check out the recap for the TLDR.
- Viva Desktop and your IntranetViva Connections is a marketing term that is being used as a collection of functionality. It isn’t a SKU that you can purchase like some of the other Viva components like Topics. Viva Desktop is one of those pieces of functionality that is available for you to enable in your tenant. In this episode of Ask Sympraxis we talk about Viva Desktop and Viva Connections.
- Ask Sympraxis AnythingThis week we opened things up to you and had a lively conversation running the gambit. Q: Have you encountered any privacy-related issues with public or private content delivery networks (CDNs) in SharePoint? I’m concerned about content being accidentally shared outside of our tenant. A public CDN is exactly what it sounds like, a public endpoint to content. When you enable this you define … Read More Ask Sympraxis Anything
- External Sharing in Microsoft 365: The RestWhile we were working on our other sessions on external sharing we realized that there were lots of other miscellaneous things to share about parts of Microsoft 365 that we hadn’t already talked about. So, in this session of Ask Sympraxis we are covering all the rest. OneDrive OneDrive Tenant Level Settings Tenant administrators can set different external sharing policies for both OneDrive and SharePoint. … Read More External Sharing in Microsoft 365: The Rest
- External Sharing in Microsoft TeamsTenant-Level Settings Teams Admin Center There are many layers of security which acts like a filter or funnel. When it comes to things like guests or external sharing, it’s important to know that at the tenant level, the tenant admin or teams admin has to turn a couple of switches on or off. The most common factor is differentiating between external users and guest users. External Users … Read More External Sharing in Microsoft Teams
- External Sharing in SharePoint OnlineTeam Site vs Communication Site External Sharing For Team Sites, the external sharing is on by default when you set up your tenant. This is usually where people are doing most of their external sharing and collaboration on documents. With Communication Sites you can share externally, however, you can’t do it from the site itself until you turn on the external sharing in the Admin Center. There are 3 … Read More External Sharing in SharePoint Online
- External Sharing in Microsoft 365Use Cases/Scenarios There are a few common scenarios we see across external collaboration needs: One-Way Sharing of Content – A document needs to be reviewed by someone, for example, a contract, which will be attached to an email or a document workspace. Temporary Collaboration Needs – A short term need which can be composed of internal and external people. These may be project-based transient needs. External Partnership Collaboration Needs – A long-term more … Read More External Sharing in Microsoft 365
- SharePoint App BarIntro to the SharePoint App Bar What is it? The SharePoint App Bar will appear along the left navigation on all SharePoint sites. There are 4 different components: Global Navigation Frequent and Followed Sites Recommended News Recent Files Global Navigation is being talked about the most. There are multiple types of navigation within Microsoft 365 for a Communications Site. These include the Global Nav, … Read More SharePoint App Bar
- Getting Started with the Power PlatformMicrosoft Power Platform: From then to now In the old world, we had InfoPath and SharePoint Designer workflows which centered on SharePoint. There was also SQL Server Reporting Services to report on the data that is collected from InfoPath forms and stored in SharePoint lists or other sources. InfoPath is dead and now we have a new model with the Power Platform. It is … Read More Getting Started with the Power Platform
- 2021 Ignite RecapViva Connections Viva Connections is an extension of the SharePoint Home Site concept, which will also integrate with Microsoft Teams. It includes the SharePoint app bar and the home site app in Teams. This extension is one of the four offerings of the Viva employee experience platform, and it’s free with existing Microsoft 365 licenses. In Viva Connections, there will be a centralized location for a user to see actionable tasks and … Read More 2021 Ignite Recap
- Microsoft Viva OverviewViva is Microsoft’s new employee experience platform that brings together communications, knowledge, learning, resources, and insights. Join the Sympraxis team as we discuss our take on the product and what you can expect in your environment.
- What’s new in PowerShell?The PowerShell scene around Office 365 is good, and it just got better with the release of the new PnP PowerShell module. In this week’s Ask Sympraxis we’ll talk about the which PowerShell modules you should use to bend Office 365 and answer any questions you have about PowerShell projects you’ve tackled yourself.
- Templates and Automation for CollaborationIn this session, we will talk about the different options for using templates to create new sites and automation tasks. Bring your questions or use the link at the top of the page.
- Our Favorite Releases From 2020Hub Site Improvements In 2020, Hub Sites gained the ability to sync permissions to the associated sites. The first step is to enable syncing permissions on the hub-site (located in Site Permissions under a Hub tab) which will add the Hub Site Site Visitors group to all associated sites. Next, in the associated site, under Site Permissions toggle Sync hub permissions to “On.” As … Read More Our Favorite Releases From 2020
- “SharePoint is Slow” – What Can We Do About It?In this session, we will explore some of the reasons your site may be running at a less than optimal speed, the tools you can use to identify the culprits, and some solutions to reduce the bloat. Resources and Takeaways Use the page diagnostics tool: https://symp.info/Page-Diagnostic Use the SharePoint Site performance page – Office Support (microsoft.com) Microsoft Network Diagnostic Tool: https://symp.info/NetworkDiagTool
- Migrating Your File Shares to SharePoint OnlineWe’ve done a lot of migrations and we’ve learned a lot of lessons along the way. In this session, we will explore things to consider before migrating your content and the different tools to support the migration of your content from file shares to SharePoint Online. Resources and Takeaways Recording of the session PnP PowerShell SharePoint Migration Tool Mover.io Sharegate
- Modern PnP Search Web PartsWhat are the Modern PnP Search Web Parts? A set of web parts like those on legacy search results pages: search results, search filters, search verticals, search box + search pagination Resources and Takeaways Modern PnP Search Web Parts Using the PnP Modern Search Web Parts with Refiners for Site Name and Content Type KQL Quick Reference
- Putting the Unity in Community – A guide to Community ResourcesThe Sympraxis Team talks about something that brings us all together Community. Learn about how to avail yourself of, and contribute to, all of the tools and resources in the M365 community, the best community in tech! Resources and Takeaways Sharing is Caring GitHub Training Sessions: aka.ms/Sharing-is-Caring Microsoft 365 on Social Media: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/community/microsoft-365-on-social-media Patterns and Practices (PnP) Community aka.ms/M365PnP Community Calls: https://pnp.github.io/#community Samples & Solutions: https://pnp.github.io/#samples Microsoft 365 … Read More Putting the Unity in Community – A guide to Community Resources
- Branding & User Interface CustomizationsToday we will talk about what it takes to make a visually appealing and accessible intranet. We will look at some of the new functionality coming this year and what you can do today. Resources and Takeaways Theme Designer: https://aka.ms/themedesigner Panthema: https://github.com/n8design/panthema Flicon: https://www.flicon.io/ SharePoint Look Book : https://lookbook.microsoft.com Web Accessibility Guidelines: www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility Top Application Design Mistakes: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/top-10-application-design-mistakes/ Visual Design Cheat Sheet: https://www.nngroup.com/articles/visual-design-cheat-sheet
- 2020 Microsoft Ignite RecapWe had a lightning round session of the Sympraxis’ highlights and top takeaways from Microsoft Ignite. Resources and Takeaways Roadmap Slides compiled by Sue Hanley: https://symp.info/IgniteRecapSlides Julie’s Resources: Graph Connectors Ignite Session: aka.ms/PR205 Known limitations of graph connectors: https://symp.info/gc-limits Derek’s Resources: “Build a Beautifully Designed Intranet” Ignite Session: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/video-hub/build-a-beautifully-designed-intranet-tips-and-tricks-from-the/m-p/1696757 Theme Designer: https://aka.ms/themedesigner Todd’s Resources: Microsoft Moves On-Premises Office Servers to a Subscription Model: https://symp.info/OnPremSubscription Microsoft 365 Groups: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/office-365-blog/office-365-groups-ignite-recap/ba-p/1036796 Stream v.Next: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-stream-blog/a-new-vision-for-microsoft-stream/ba-p/1686304 Cross-tenant … Read More 2020 Microsoft Ignite Recap
- Microsoft 365 Maturity ModelWe often hear from people in the community that they know they aren’t using Microsoft 365 capabilities as fully or as efficiently as they would like. Taking a holistic view of the technology and gaining an understanding of current state vs. desired state can help organizations: Understand and compare options for solving business problems Focus time, energy and resources on the right priorities Identify … Read More Microsoft 365 Maturity Model
- Microsoft 365 Learning PathwaysMicrosoft 365 learning pathways released the multilingual version 4 on June 27th with support for 9 languages. This overview discusses that release and it’s impact on governance and adoption of Microsoft 365.